Thursday, January 17, 2008
24 Week Appointment!
We just had our 24 week appointment this afternoon, and everything went great. She had a strong heartbeat, and Dr. Barney said she was probably still breach judging on where I was feeling her kick (my lower left side). He said at this point a lot of babies are still breach, but about 95% turn around on their own. He said if she is still breach at 32 weeks he would try to turn her then. So the next appointment is the dreaded sugar test, or so I have heard. Maybe it's not as bad as some people say. I just hope it doesn't make me sick or anything. Any suggestions on that would be helpful! I plan on bringing something to eat immediately after, and the appointment is in the morning. We also talked about the childbirth class, and I am not quite sure if I want to do that or not. Dr. Barney said it was good because they do a tour of the hospital, and if you don't already know all your options you learn about them there, but he also said it wasn't something he thought we had to go to, especially if I do a lot of reading about things. So thoughts on that would be helpful too. He also said we could take a tour of the hospital anytime without doing the class, which I definitely want to do. The doctor's office is in the hospital by the way, right across the hall basically from the maternity ward. Oh, and I had gained 7 lbs since my last appointment, 4 weeks ago! I knew I had gained a little, but didn't think it would be that much. He wasn't concerned though, thankfully! The last time I weighed this much was when I gained the freshman 15 in college! Well, I think that's about it! We are very thankful, once again, that our little girl seems to be doing good! I am feeling amazing too. I actually have more energy now than I did before I was pregnant, so I am loving it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
i once gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks. i got addicted to Simply Orange orange juice and replaced ALL of my water intake with it. i finally broke down and looked at the calories and discovered i was adding an additional 2000 calories to my diet daily. i won't let myself drink it at all this time for fear of a relapse.
as far as birth classes, we took a "natural" birth class that lasted for 8 weeks, 3 hours a class. while it was long, it was also really good to have bonding time with other couples going through what you are, and they create a good social network for you afterwards as well. it's also really good for the boys, as it makes the whole pregnancy seem more real to them as this is the first thing they can truly participate in rather than just being a bystander to the process. and most classes are good just to give you that extra bit of confidence you may be needing. Also, you may want to shop around the area for other birth class options. Many hospital classes are really large and you don't have as much personal time with your instructor and the other classmates. I vote "go for it!"
Wow, that is crazy about the Simply Orange! That's what we buy all the time, and I love it. But I usually just have about a half a glass in the morning. I have still been wanting oranges and tangerines though. Thanks for the advice on the class! I think the hospitals options are one 4 week class or you can do it all in one day. They also have a breast feeding class that I considered doing. Do you have a name yet? Avery? Tess?
the first trimester I gained one lb, after that I gained 8 lbs a month! oh well.
We didnt take classes. the nurses at the hospital told us how to do everything. I did watch a class on DVD [live laugh and learn??] I will find out the name. It was helpful, we did learn somethings, but all the breathing and stuff the nurses taught us. Classes are good to meet other parents. They should give you a tour of the facilities anyways
I ate cuties my whole pregnancy!
My girlfriend,Kelly gained a lot of weight w/her first baby because of juice (just commenting on Shanna's comment...I know you're not drinkin a lot of juice). Who would have thought??? This pregnany she cut her juice with water. With Owen, all I wanted was water and savory foods. This time I want JUICE and SWEETS (it must be a girl.) I only gained 18 1bs with Owen, but I imagine this time will be a different story.
I was determined we would take the childbrith class at our Ob office and drug Danny to an ALL DAY class and tour of the hospital. Honestly, the only thing I really got out of the class was where to go at the hospital. Like Jessica said, the nurses really help you through everything. I actually picked up a lot of birthing positions and options from A Baby Story (for free.)
I can't wait to see that growing belly!
And.....I am so jealous you are feeling kicks. I can't wait!
oh, and yea for you for breastfeeding! I nursed Owen for 14 months. We are now on our official first week of be weaned. I figured the milk factory needed a vacation before July rolls around and I am back on FULL TIME.
ok- the sugar test- just chug it and get it over with! it's nasty, it takes like shit and you will want to vomit. it tastes like flat orange drink or something.
childbirth classes- TAKE THEM! you will be amazed at the things you thought you knew and didn't! trust me! of course, ours was a little different, b/c everyone in the class was having twins. ours was for 8 weeks, every friday night for 3 hours! i wouldn't have changed it for the world, it helped soooooo much!
good luck!!! - Ali
I am glad the appointment went so well! I am ready for another belly shot! Post a new one! I am glad you are also feeling more energized, that is always good! Have a great weekend sweet pea! Misty
Yikes, I don't know what I want to do about the classes!! Wes and I talked about it last night, and I told him even if I learned just a couple things I didn't know before it would be worth it to me. I know you can't predict what will happen the day you go, but I have been reading all these pregnany books but they still don't tell you different things to expect at the hospital, and I am sure each hospital has different methods and routines. I honestly don't care about the social network thing - I know a lot of Moms already and with the culture the way it is out here, I am most likely not going to meet wonderful friends in this class. There are babies and pregnant women everywhere - Mormons have on average 3.5 kids or something - so anyways, it's just not that big a deal to these people. Now watch, I say that and I will probably meet a best friend there or something!! So anyways, I am sure the nurses will help me and all that, but what if there isn't time and all this stuff happens really fast, and I am completely clueless? I don't know! I have a couple friends that delivered at the hospital, so I will ask them if they did the class and see what they thought too. Right now I am leaning more towards doing it though.
Misty, I will post a belly pic for you soon, I promise!
As always girls, thanks for ALL the advice!! You have no idea how much it helps!! And we go register Sunday, so hopefully we survive that crazy store!! I have a spreadsheet with all the comments and brands you have all recommended!
Dont freak out you will be ok. It is a totally natural thing. If you want I will send you our DVD. I really did learn a few things from it. Can you take a class that is a one day event? That might help too. They do answer a lot of questions and it never hurts to have gone to one.
ha ha ha I didnt think about where you were living! I bet there ARE babies everywhere!
- Show quoted text -
Shannon-HI! It's Susan from SMCC! Thanks for linking me-I'll do the same:) This baby journey is QUITE exciting!! And yes, for your first, I would do EVERYTHING-become as informed as you possibly can and let the rest go! We didn't even know how to swaddle a baby or the whole what to do with the alien belly button thing and to be honest, James paid waaaay more attention than I did which was a complete and total lifesaver! I agree-go if you can:) You look great btw!
Also, some REALLY great reads:
'Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy: Or Everythink Your Doctor Won't Tell You' by Vicki Iovine--very funny and VERY real, a little crude, less "natural" than my personal philosophies, but a great read!!
'Guide to Childbirth' or 'Spiritual Midwifery' by Ina May Gaskin--this is the woman that has revitalized midwifery in the US over the last 40 years--AMAZING woman--both of these books are great for giving personal birth stories and also giving you confidence in your body's ability to birth a child.
I don't remember the sugar test being that bad. I was told by everyone that it would be bad and I went into it freaking out! I think it was orange flavored and it was strong but not anything that would make me get sick. I was also expecting there to be alot of it and there was less than 8 oz. You should be fine!!
Michelle
me too...My sugar test was really not bad. the only thing for me was I had to drink it an hour before I took the test which wouldn't have been bad if I hadn't had to drive and hour to the doctor...in construction.....so I had to guess and drink it, in 5 minutes, in the car...ughhhhhh. I was so scared it would make me sick while I was driving. It didn't. The doc said I could put it on ice and that helped.
Post a Comment