Thursday, January 7, 2010

Wednesday morning


Wednesday morning was the last time. How come my heart aches a little as I sit here and contemplate the end of this chapter? I thought it was what I wanted, and I still think ultimately it is. I’m talking about weaning Abbie completely from nursing, and we are on day 2. She did fine with it last night, thankfully, and tonight only asked twice. When I offered her milk instead, she was good to go. Wow. Really?

As aggravated as I get sometimes when all I want is for her to go back to sleep in the morning for a few minutes and “it” is all she wants to do, I know I will still miss this closeness. I think it is another sign of her growing up – that is one of the things I’ve been telling her too, that she is a big girl now and big girls drink milk out of cups (only). I always thought, before having her, that I would stop at 1 year, and be done, but she had other plans, and I guess I just went along with them. I have enjoyed most every minute of this bond we have shared, but now it’s time to let go. I pray that it will be replaced with another kind of closeness. I sort of remember feeling this way when we moved her back into her own bed at 10 months, after the relapse of letting her sleep with us during our move back east. So as we end this chapter, I know it’s just one of many, and the book is, by no means, over. It’s only just beginning, in fact.

5 comments:

Shanna Mac said...

weaning is TOUGH!!! not only is it the emotional ache of your baby growing, but the hormonal shift can be really challenging. i called my midwives more than i can admit just to "FIGURE OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!" when i was weaning the g-unit. apparently my chemical balance was off and i couldn't make myself quit crying. i think we're going cold turkey with the avester at 20 months. i'm trying to get it down to once a day so that it won't be such a pain then, but she doesn't seem to be cooperating with mama's plans.

good luck to you guys. it really is all just beginning!! love you...

The Colorado Carrs said...

awww, it is hard. I never thought I would last this long either. ITs such a sweet time. We have cut all night feedings and only nurse twice a day now. I am ready but I am not......thinking of ya!!!

Elisa said...

I know how hard a decision that was for you. I'm glad that it has been so seamless.

Miss you!
E

Crystal Johnson said...

I've got Ben down to 1-2 times a day and I am so ready to be DONE! He still seems to want it at nap time, but Danny can get him to bed at night w/o, which is wonderful!

The Ledfords said...

I cried several times this morning over little stuff, so I definitely think my hormones are feeling it! Abbie did great again this morning, not even asking to or anything, so I think we are over the hump now. Hopefully my craziness will even out a little over the weekend! Thanks everyone for your support!! XOXO